Friday, March 9, 2012

DIY nail polish rack

Who says a nail polish rack can't be pretty?

I was intrigued when I saw a homemade nail polish rack on youtube made out of wood, so I continued to look up ways of making one. On Amazon nail polish racks can easily cost over $50, but this cost me about $16 and is completely personalized.



How I Made It:
The basic supplies you will need are 3 styrofoam boards, hot glue (and lots of it),  an x-acto knife or pair of sharp scissors, ruler, super glue (optional), and a pencil.
Start by choosing what pieces will be what. You will need one to be a backboard, one for the shelfs, and one for the casing around the rack. 
Take the backboard sheet and measure where you want the shelves. Mine were about 3 1/2 inches apart, but after I was finished some of the shelves seemed a bit small, so I'd go with 4 inches to be on the safe side.
Then take the sheet you will use as shelves and measure out your shelves. Mine are about 2 1/2 inches. Take the casing sheet and measure the two long sides for the side casing (you can use 2 shelves as the upper and lower casing).

Here are my pieces before I put them together. To assemble the rack, place hot glue alone one side of each shelf and place it on a line where you measured the shelves would be. Then glue on the outer casings. You can reinforce the shelves with superglue if you'd like.
I left a big space at the bottom to fit polish remover and other large items

Next to make it pretty. I decided to use a bunch of scrapbooking paper in a collage type pattern
After a couple of shelves
After I was done with the background, I wrapped black paper around each of the shelves
I also added some fun decorations
With the polishes! All together this took about 5 or 6 hours. I love how this is really personal to me- and it was cheaper and prettier than a rack from online! I think I am also going to add some lettering on top that says "nail station" or something of that nature. 

Hope you enjoyed and feel inspired to make your very own nail polish rack!

No comments:

Post a Comment