Thursday, February 16, 2012

Favorite Ten Makeup Must-Haves

For my first "official" entry, I decided to pick my current top 10 makeup products. Most of these I have either used for years and/or use every day. If there are "dupes" (less expensive, comparable products) that I am aware of, they will also be in the description of the products.



1) Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes! mascara. On the pricey side at $19, but I got it in a kit that included a lip stain (#8 actually) and a cheek stain at Ulta a while back. This mascara is worth the money though- multiple times I've been asked if I was wearing fake lashes while just wearing this mascara. Available at Sephora or Ulta.

2) Urban Decay Primer Potion. If you wear eyeshadow, this is an essential. Prevents creasing (ya know, when all your shadow turns to goop and gathers in the socket part of your eyelid) and increases color payoff. This is their old packaging, but their new packaging is more sanitary and has more product. Once again, is a pretty penny at $20. This stuff also lasts forever. 

3) Revlon ColorStay Foundation. It comes in two formulas- for dry/normal skin or oily/combination skin. Goes on smoothly, is full coverage (sometimes it doubles as my concealer), lasts all day. Oh- and is drugstore! Perfection.

4) Smashbox Photofinish Light Primer. I've been using this stuff almost every day for over two years. It's for oily/ acne prone skin, but they have multiple other formulas for drier skin, to cancel out redness, illuminate, etc. I got the 2oz tube (as opposed to the standard 1oz) on sale at allcosmeticswholesale.com for $40, but regularly the 1 oz is $36 at Sephora. If you can't find a deal online, the only other primer I've found that works as well with my oily skin is from mark. but it does not last quite as long as good ol' Photofinish...but is also a fraction of the price.  

5) NYX Tango with Bronzing Powder in When Leopard Gets a Tan. Is similar to Stila's leopard bronzer but a LOT cheaper, and just as cute.  Is great for fairer skin in the winter to cancel out pale ickiness. I bought mine at beautyjoint for $9.50, which is slightly cheaper than in stores, where I've seen it for $15. Beautyjoint also has reasonable shipping- woot!

6) MAC eyeshadow in Omega. I have light eyebrows, and this is the perfect shade to fill them in. Unfortunately MAC shadows are $15 a pop, so if you can find a color in a neutral palette that matches your brows, then more power to ya. 

7) Kat Von D Tattoo Concealer. Very creamy, thick formula. I love using this for my under eye circles and redness around nose. This is only available at Sephora for $25, but I have yet to find a concealer that covers as well as this stuff does. If you're thinking drugstore, I suggest you look out for Revlon PhotoReady concealer.

8) Tarte LipSurgence Lipstain in Pouty. As previously stated, I got this in a set with the mascara for a very good price (I want to say something like $20) at Ulta a while back. This is great to just slide on before heading out so my lips don't look sickly pale like they tend to in the mornings. I currently use this a lot, however I'm not sure if I will re-buy this at $24 each. 

9) Urban Decay 24/7 Shadow Pencil in Sin. I bought this as a part of the "stash" a bit ago at Ulta. The set of 5 pencils were on sale for $20, but they are currently on sale at urbandecay.com for $12. Definitely worth $12. You don't need a primer under this- just swipe in on your lids, under your brow bone, and on your inner corners and you're good to go. I do that most mornings when I'm rushing to class. When I'm not in a rush, I still use this champagne-colored stick on my inner corners- it lasts forever and gives a fantastic highlight. lovelovelove this! 

There is a "cheaper" alternative- Maybelline Color Tattoos also have a similar use- you don't really need a primer and you can just swipe them on quick. But they cost $6-8 each, so really with the Urban Decay you get more for your money.

10) Urban Decay Naked Palette. If you haven't seen this palette, please take a look here. This palette is perfect for every day, night outs, and traveling. Pretty much anytime, anywhere. For $50 you get 12 shadows, a mini Primer Potion (valued at $9), and Good Karma eyeshadow brush (retail $26). Yes, $50 is a lot of money, but when you break it down it is worth it ($3.57 per product- cheaper than a lot of drug store!). The Naked Palette 2 also was recently released, and although I don't think I'd find it necessary to have both palettes, perhaps one or the other will strike your fancy. The Naked Palette is one (if not the) best-selling palette of 2011. 
NYX also has a neutral palette that you can check out at beautyjoint
Mark. has a smaller neutral palette as well that is more compact and less expensive.



Thanks for Reading!
~Beth


No comments:

Post a Comment